Those of you who know their sheep will have spotted that the above image is of Herdwick sheep & not Merino sheep. Herdwicks are a traditional, hardy breed of sheep found locally, their wool is far too coarse for our products but it makes great carpets and felted products. Check out herdwick-sheep.com.
The sheep thrive out on the open fells despite the Lakeland climate and share their space with thousands of walkers, runners & cyclists, many of whom will also enjoy the benefits of wearing wool up on the hills.
Wool does a fantastic job of regulating body temperature, dries quickly, wicks away sweat, is warmer than cotton or synthetics and can be worn for days without getting smelly which makes it an ideal choice for travelling light.
EDZ’s Quick Guide To Merino Wool
Merino are a breed of sheep that produce a particularly fine grade of wool that is soft enough to be worn next to the skin comfortably.
Merino wool is warmer than cotton or synthetics.
Merino wool is a natural climate control material which regulates temperature.
Merino wool has excellent anti-odour properties so can be worn for many days before needing a wash – particularly useful when travelling.
Merino wool wicks and absorbs moisture and unlike cotton or synthetics will still help keep you warm even when damp.
Merino Wool Care Guide
To ensure that you get the most out of your EDZ Merino garments here are some useful tips. These are not applicable for our gloves or knitted hats, please refer to product labels for more detailed information
- EDZ Merino is machine washable to 30C.
- Take extra care when wool is wet as it is susceptible to damage
- Do not wash with items that could catch such as jeans with rivets and zippers
- Be careful when hanging out to dry, avoid using pegs
- Do not tumble dry
- Do not use fabric softeners or Biological detergents.
- Wash with similar colours
- Do not bleach
- Iron – low heat only
- If you decide to Dry-clean, any Solvent Except Trichloroethylene
- Beware of moths! To find out more & how to mitigate against moth damage Information about the Clothes Moth
Although our Merino wool garments are pre-shrunk you may experience up to 5% shrinkage
If you look after your EDZ merino garments you will get many years wear out of them.
Need More Information?
If you have any concerns or questions about how to look after your EDZ Merino then please do not hesitate to contact us.